Saturday, December 8, 2012

Life of Pi


Life of Pi [PG]
Crystl: This movie is about the amazing journey of a young Indian boy after a ship wreck leaves him alone on a life boat with a tiger named Richard Parker.  I really loved the story line and plot of this movie.  It was a crazy adventure that had me enthralled the whole time.  We took Sam and Gabe with us too.

Joe:  I enjoyed it too.  I especially liked the visuals, it was very pretty. His story was fascinating and inspiring, although there were some things about it that I didn't connect with as much.

Sam: It was good, but I don't like to see animals get hurt.  It was fun to see different sides of nature and what it can do.  I really liked the glowing jelly fish part, it was cool.

Crystl: I agree with Sam about the animals part.  I also loved the relationship between Pi and the tiger.  He was a tiger the whole time, so it made the story more believable.  In some movies the animals turn nice and cuddly or friendly, but they didn't go there.

Gabe:  I liked the movie, it was good.  It was a little sad at the end, I was crying.  Hearing he had a lot of different religions made me think, "How is that possible?"

Crystl:  Yeah, that was something that kept me thinking too.  I like that he was open with his religious beliefs, and wanted to believe in all of them.  I do feel like I missed out on something deeper with this part of the story that they didn't go into in the movie.  The movie was just as much about his relationship with "God" as it was with the tiger.  One part of the movie seemed a little far-fetched, but I think it was trying to get a message across about "God".  God was in quotes because he hardly references one of his many gods he believes in when he's talking about "God".  You could easily put in the christian, Muslim, any Hindu god and it would work.  Actually you could do any god for that matter, he just talked about those 3 religions in the movie.  I actually did like that because you could personalize the messages by inserting your god of choice.  I'm all about equality here, people!

Joe: I was a little put off by the religious message.  It was fairly universal so I'm not just being put off by a different religion, I just thought it was laid on a little heavy.  I felt like I was being preached to, especially at the end.  I enjoyed it, but I might have enjoyed it more if that was toned down a little.

Crystl:  I will be reading this book soon because I want to know more about his spirituality.  Plus, it's just a great story, so I want to hear it again.

Great movie, I love the director (Ang Lee), he did some incredible shots and effects that were just breathtaking.  We watched it in 3D which added a little depth to the picture.  It was subtle, but there were a few scenes that were really cool, like the tiger swiping at you!  So I say, 3D if you're into 3D, but it's definitely not necessary to really enjoy the movie.

Joe:  I think it's definitely worth seeing in 3D, they did it really well.  I loved the underwater shots.  But if you don't like 3D I agree you can still fully appreciate the movie without it.
 
Crystl:  I recommend this movie for older kids (10 and up) and adults.  I think the animals getting hurt would be too scary for littler kids.  It was also a more serious movie, so little kids could get bored.
 I give it 4 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment