Saturday, December 1, 2012

Samsara

Samsara  [PG-13]
Crystl: This movie is hard to put into a category.  It's not really a documentary, it's kind of close though.  I heard it described as a guided meditation which is mostly true.  There is no dialogue whatsoever.  It is a series of seemingly random shots set to music.

Having said that, this movie was just really beautiful, fascinating, and interesting.  It was pretty-beautiful, sad-beautiful, disturbing-beautiful, and happy-beautiful. I found myself falling into a state of meditation but then I would pop out of it thinking, "Ooh!  Where's that place?  Who are those people?  What is that building?"  It was just a nice way to let your mind wander.  It takes you to places you've never seen and though they aren't all pleasant to watch, they're all very interesting.

The only bad thing I have to say about this movie is that there is one section that seems out of place and disturbed my meditation.  Everything else was something that naturally happens without script or without being aware the camera is there.  The scene was too theatrical and out of place; it bugged me. It was not beautiful at all.
[SPOILER] The scene was an old man sitting at a desk and smashing clay onto his face and then adding paint to it to make a mask, then he would scrape it off violently and start over or just smear it around.

Joe: I haven't seen it yet, but I still want to see it! 

I would recommend this movie for grown ups that want to watch something very different.
4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment